Applied Measurement Uncertainty for Testing Laboratories
During this workshop, the participant will be introduced to several tools and techniques that can be applied in the testing laboratory environment to efficiently and effectively create measurement uncertainty budgets which comply with ISO/IEC 17025 requirements. The tools presented are generic in nature such that they may be applied in a variety of testing laboratories.
- Successful completion of A2LA WPT's Introduction to Measurement Uncertainty course, OR have working knowledge of mathematics and statistics (such as root sum squares and statistical distributions);
- Be proficient in spreadsheet use; and
- Be working in a testing laboratory with test methods requiring measurement uncertainty estimates
The participant will need to bring a laptop computer (PC or MAC) with Microsoft Excel or similar spreadsheet installed. Please note that the tablet and smart phone versions of Excel and other spreadsheets do not have the full functionality of the PC versions and the participant may not be able to utilize all the power of the spreadsheet covered during the training.
Target learners include Testing Laboratory Managers, Engineers, Scientists, or Technicians.
After successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
1. Discuss the concepts within the Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty of Measurement (The GUM);
2. List and define the contributors for testing laboratory Type ‘A’ and Type ‘B’ measurement uncertainty distributions;
3. Determine how contributors are considered for inclusion in the uncertainty budget; and
4. Build a basic Test Measurement Uncertainty Budget.
1.4 CEUs Awarded*
*A2LA WorkPlace Training is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET) and is authorized to issue the IACET CEU.
Lecture, discussion, and group exercises.
Hands-on exercises using Microsoft Excel provide a practical approach that enables the attendees to apply the methods in their particular testing application during and after the workshop. Several Excel templates and tools are provided for the attendees to implement.
Please bring a laptop with Microsoft Excel or compatible spreadsheet loaded in the computer for a truly interactive workshop.