Applied Measurement Uncertainty for Testing Laboratories (EMU 201W)
During this workshop, the participant will be introduced to several tools and techniques that can be applied in the testing laboratory environment to efficiently and effectively create measurement uncertainty budgets which comply with ISO/IEC 17025 requirements. The tools presented are generic in nature such that they may be applied in a variety of testing laboratories.
This virtual instructor-led course will be conducted in two time blocks per day, from 10 am to 12 pm and from 3 pm to 5 pm Eastern Time. Learners will attend using a virtual learning program, and will participate in live discussion and activities.
Attending a hybrid version of this course? If so, please note the following:
- Class is held both days from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (EST) with a 1-hour lunch break.
- A laptop with a camera and a mic/headset is required for all students. Please also be sure to have internet access.
- Virtual platform details for Adobe Connect are included in your confirmation email.
- Successful completion of A2LA WPT's Introduction to Measurement Uncertainty (EMU 101) course, OR have working knowledge of mathematics and statistics (such as root sum squares and statistical distributions);
- Be proficient in spreadsheet use; and
- Be working in a testing laboratory with test methods requiring measurement uncertainty estimates
The participant will need a laptop computer (PC or MAC) with Microsoft Excel or similar spreadsheet installed. Please note that the tablet and smart phone versions of Excel and other spreadsheets do not have the full functionality of the PC versions and the participant may not be able to utilize all the power of the spreadsheet covered during the training.
Target learners include Testing Laboratory Managers, Engineers, Scientists, or Technicians.
After successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
1. Discuss the concepts within the Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty of Measurement (The GUM);
2. List and define the contributors for testing laboratory Type ‘A’ and Type ‘B’ measurement uncertainty distributions;
3. Determine how contributors are considered for inclusion in the uncertainty budget; and
4. Build a basic Test Measurement Uncertainty Budget.
1.4 CEUs Awarded
A2LA WorkPlace Training is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET) and is authorized to issue the IACET CEU.
August 10, 2020 – August 13, 2020
September 23, 2020 – September 24, 2020
9:00 AM – 5:00 PM