Applied Measurement Uncertainty for Calibration Laboratories
During this course, the participant will be introduced to several tools and techniques that can be applied in the calibration laboratory environment to efficiently and effectively create measurement uncertainty budgets which comply with ISO/IEC 17025 requirements. The tools presented are generic in nature such that they may be applied in a variety of calibration laboratories.
- Have attended A2LA's Introduction to Measurement Uncertainty (EMU 101) course, OR have working metrology-field knowledge of mathematics and statistics
- Be proficient in spreadsheet use
- Be working in the calibration / metrology field
The participant will need to bring a laptop computer (PC or MAC) with Microsoft Excel or similar spreadsheet installed. Please note that the tablet and smart phone versions of Excel and other spreadsheets do not have the full functionality of the PC versions and the participant may not be able to utilize all the power of the spreadsheet covered during the training.
Target learners include Calibration Laboratory Managers, Engineers, Scientists, or Technicians.
After successful completion of the course, the participant will be able to:
1. Discuss the concepts within the Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty of Measurement (The GUM);
2. List and define the contributors for calibration laboratory measurement uncertainty budgets;
3. Determine how contributors are considered for inclusion in the uncertainty budget; and
4. Build a basic Calibration Measurement Uncertainty Budget.
Lecture, discussion, and group exercises.
Hands-on exercises using Microsoft Excel provide a practical approach that enables the attendees to apply the methods in their particular testing application during and after the workshop. Several Excel templates and tools are provided for the attendees to implement.
Please bring a laptop with Microsoft Excel or compatible spreadsheet loaded in the computer for a truly interactive workshop.
ISO Guide 98-3:2008-Uncertainty of Measurement-Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement
*A2LA WorkPlace Training is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET) and is authorized to issue the IACET CEU.