Understanding ISO 17034 for Reference Material Providers (MS 130)
This course provides the participant with a comprehensive look at the requirements of ISO 17034, as well as associated definitions from ISO Guide 30, requirements for statistical methods from ISO Guide 35, and requirements for accompanying descriptive information from ISO Guide 31.
- Definitions from ISO Guide 30:2015.
- Types of Reference Materials (Certified Reference Materials/Reference Materials).
- Uses of certified reference materials.
- Uses of non-certified reference materials (quality control, method verification, proficiency testing).
- Application of ISO Guide 35 for statistical methods to qualify CRMs.
- Application of ISO Guide 31 for Certified Reference Material Certificate Content.
- National and international practices.
Expertise in a technical field of measurement where Reference Materials are used or needed.
Target learners include Reference Material Producer Directors, Managers, Auditors, Engineers, Scientists, or Technicians.
After successful completion of the course, the participant will be able to:
1. Identify the Documents and Records required;
2. Discuss the difference between Reference Materials (RMs) and Certified Reference Material (CRMs);
3. Define characterization, homogeneity, stability, and uncertainty;
4. Relate the need for characterization, homogeneity, stability and uncertainty for all types of Reference Materials;
5. Design and plan production for an example reference material; and
6. Analyze files and records to determine compliance with the requirements for content of Reference Material documentation
1.4 CEUs Awarded*
Lecture, discussion, and group exercises.
Hands-on exercises using Microsoft Excel provide a practical approach that enables the attendees to apply the methods in their particular testing application during and after the workshop. Several Excel templates and tools are provided for the attendees to implement.
Please bring a laptop with Microsoft Excel or compatible spreadsheet program loaded in the computer for a truly interactive workshop.
A legal, authorized copy of the ISO 17034 standard will be provided to each participant.
ISO 17034:2016 General Requirements for the Competence of Reference Material Producers
ISO Guide 35:2016 Reference Materials - General and Statistical Principles for Certification
ISO Guide 31:2015 Reference Materials - Contents of Certificates and Labels
ISO Guide 30:2015 Reference Materials - Selected Terms and Definitions
APLAC TC 008:2010 APLAC Requirements for and Guidance on Reference Material Producer Assessment and the Resulting Scope of Accreditation
*American Association for Laboratory Accreditation (A2LA) is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET) and is authorized to issue the IACET CEU.